Elkfest Features 49th Annual Elk Antler Auction To Benefit Boy Scouts [VIDEO]
This past weekend, buyers and sellers from around the region and around the country came together for a sale of antlers and horns like non other. Every year on the Saturday before Memorial weekend antler sellers gather around the square in Jackson Hole, Wyoming to vie for the best prices for their found treasures. Although there are private sellers who are looking for the payoff of their labors, the main event and auction is for the Jackson area Boy Scouts and the National Elk Refuge.
This year over 11,000 pounds of antlers and a little over $175,000 was raised for the Scouts and the refuge. Although these numbers are down from previous years, they still added up to the third best year in the 49 year history of the event. The majority (75%) of the proceeds from the Boy Scout Elk Antler Auction are used for long term habitat improvement projects at the National Elk Refuge and the other 25% is used towards funds to pay the Friends of Scouting dues that are required for the district to remain in Boy Scouts of America.
Next years event, and the 50th anniversary, is already on the calendar for May 20th, 2017. Plan on spending the weekend as other events including the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation’s annual banquet and a big chili cook-off are on the schedule to keep you busy for the weekend.
Here is some of the auction action
Subscribe to 106.3 Cowboy Country on