When Were Wyoming’s Best Known Dams Built?
Some people love history and geography. We feel an innate need to know where things are – whether that be towns, rivers, and/or the projects that dammed them, and when. In Wyoming alone the North Platte has a number of reservoirs.
Here are some of the best known dams in the Cowboy State:
Buffalo Bill Dam on the Shoshone River irrigates the Bighorn Basin. It turned a semi-arid sage covered plain into productive ag land. It was known first as Shoshone Dam when constructed between 1905 and 1910. It is by far Wyoming’s oldest dam.
Glendo Dam on the North Platte in Platte and Converse Counties contains two hydroelectric turbines and the reservoir is used for irrigation flood control, and water sports. Construction began in 1954 and finished in 1958.
Pathfinder Dam on the North Platte River, approximately 47 miles southwest of Casper is included on the National Register of Historic Places. It was named for General John C. Fremont, who was nicknamed the “Pathfinder of the West.” It was originally constructed between 1905 and 1909, but has been modified several times.
Seminoe Dam is the uppermost dam on the North Platte River and lies in a narrow, isolated canyon cutting through the Seminoe Mountains about 40 miles northeast of Rawlins. It’s construction lasted from 1936 to 1939.